Wednesday, July 4, 2012

Weee're Baaaack!

That's right folks- we're back!  On June 28th the Johnson's rolled back into BG!  We had an ah-mazing vacation!!!!!  I can't begin to tell you all the sights we saw, good times we had, memories that were made...and of course the meltdowns (kid AND adults), the name calling (just kids here), and the 5,952 times we heard, "Are we there yet?".  As it so often is, it was great to go and great to get back home!!!   

Those of you that know me, know what a germ freak I am.  Public bathrooms and shady hotels are not among my favorite things.  This trip has cured me of one of those things though- public bathrooms.  I might rename this summer as....THE SUMMER OF THE BAD BATHROOMS.  We encountered more hole in the ground (literally) filled with crap (literally) in 9,000 degree weather (literally) bathrooms along the way.  And when you gotta go, you gotta go!

Leaving the comforts of home and getting out of your routine really makes you aware of how much a person depends on their routine.  It's no secret that we eat healthy, and that I have a slight obsession with running (yes, slight).  Along our adventure out west we tried our best to continue our healthy eats, but when you are eating out of the back of an Armada for most of your meals, convenience come in and sometimes healthy goes out.  Also, over 18 days I only ran 10 miles.  10 miles...that's horrific!  The scale and I are now arch enemies until the number goes down. And I'm still battling with my body on when it needs to eat.  It's crazy how 18 days can alter the way you eat! 

But, all things aside, it was a great time by all. 

Now- let's talk running!  This morning I ran a fun, local 4K.  It was my first 4K ever!  No monetary entry fee- just bring 4 canned food items.  They did have shirts for $5 (I did buy one), and they were really cute.  It began at the local running store that sponsored it, followed a local park path, hooked up with the Greenway, and then ended at the store.  At ever 1K, there was something to do...10 push-ups, 10 squats, and 10 jumping jacks.  The course overall was really hilly and it was already fairly hot out, so I didn't go all out.  There wasn't a timing system, so I have no clue as to what I finished in (believe it or not I didn't run with my phone!!!), but my dad said that I finished towards the beginning of the pack (we left in waves of 20).  It was a fun way to get a few miles in on the 4th!

Let's talk for a few minutes about running with and without the phone.  I always run with my phone...3 reasons.  1. If something happens I have the ability to call someone.  2.  It has my Nike app on it and it tells me my mileage and pace.  3.  My music.  All 3 of those reasons have been really important...until recently.  Since we have returned, I have been running more at the gym due to the heat.  While there, I have been running without music- no biggie- they have music playing there, and there's t.v.s to look at.  Monday, I woke up and headed out before the heat got too oppressive.  I took my phone for reasons 1, 2, and 3, BUT about 3/4 of the way into my run my music got ANNOYING!  It was hot, I was sweating, and I didn't want to hear anything!  So I took my buds out and went solo.  It was good.  I did it again this morning-  it was a fun run, so I wasn't worried about pace or anything and I didn't feel like I would need my music to "pump me up".  Again, good feeling.  I'm not saying I will never run with my phone again, I will.  I like to know how far I've gone and how fast/slow I'm going.  But I do think I'll run more without my tunes. 

Happy 4th y'all!!

No comments:

Post a Comment