Monday, September 5, 2011

Yeah...I'm kind of a big deal

So, this morning, my dad picked me up at 5:50...in the cold, rainy, dreary, dark morning and headed out to Covington Woods Park. Yeah-ok-I was a little bitter about leaving my nice warm bed...especially since today was a day off school (i.e. I could sleep past 5:50). Dreary, COLD, rainy, dark morning + being was WAAAAAY nervous = horrific feeling. I have no prior experiences with 5Ks, so I had no clue if I had eaten the "right" things the night before, if I had drank enough water-but not too much, if I was wearing the "right" clothes...ARGH! The pressure!!!!! Then as I sat in the Jeep with my dad (thank God for my dad!!) I started seeing all these crazy fit people running around, stretching like maniacs, just looking generally waaaaay fitter than me, and I kinda psyched myself out :( BUT-luckily my dad was there to talk me back into reality and reminded me for my first race having a goal to finish and finish with a good time for ME was perfect!!

The above picture will win no award, but it does give proof that I was standing in the mob waiting...my teacher side kicked in and I REALLY wanted to clap a pattern, or holler for 5, or count down...I mean come on people-how were us newbies supposed to hear the man giving us directions or whatever the heck he was saying. Anyway-obviously I heard the GO signal and was off.

I'd like to thank my fellow runners who kept my pace in check. I used a nice older man to keep my pace in check...and passed some slower people along the way who boosted my moral...thanks a bunch! :) As we were coming around the last corner and the finish line was in sight, I kicked it in gear and passed a few people. Thanks dad for getting me coming in!!!

If you look at the bottom right, there's the blur of my foot going across. Yes I was goofy and did a fist pump and said yay...but hey I was proud!!!


Obviously we had to do a post race pic. Yay me! Now I feel more prepared for the Medical Center 5K in October. Have a fantastic Labor Day!!!



No comments:

Post a Comment